Saturday, May 16, 2015

I Like Chinneeesseeee

As the temps get warmer, I start to think about all the fun summer things ahead to look forward to.  Iced Tea.  Popsicles.  Swimming.  Picnics.  Stoneybrook!  When I was a kid, our family drove down to Dansville at least 3 or 4 times each summer to grill out/picnic, walk along the waterfalls, and swim in the freezing cold water.  (BY freezing, I do mean that. One year it was 55).  I always got to bring a friend, and I went through quite the list to find one brave enough to jump into that water with me!  Some of my girlfriends did well, most boyfriends did not (Though they tried)...Then I hit jackpot.  My friends Drew and James were the best Stoneybrook partners ever.  At 6'1" and 6'#', I'm not sure they were quite what my shotgun lovin' Uncle preferred, but once he realized they were my brotha's from anotha motha, it was all good.  I remember so many great summer days filled with cannonballs, s'mores, sour cherries, and...Monty Python.  Yep, our music of choice (god help my parents).  While being sixteen and singing "I bet you they won't play this song on the radio" or the "Spam" song probably wouldn't be considered the epitome of coolness, we could care less.  It was fun.  And when you're a teenager, that's all that matters.  Especially when singing about cute and cuddly Asians.  Or, "I like Chinese".  And I do. 

Their food is also top notch- and super healthy, if you make it yourself!  So when I spied Nasoya egg roll wrappers on sale at Tops, I knew it was a Beef n Broccoli night, with homemade egg rolls!

Easy Chicken Egg Rolls (makes 12 egg rolls)

12 egg roll wrappers
1 cup cubed chicken breast
1 cup scallions, diced
2 cups cabbage,shredded
1/2 cup carrot, shredded
2 tbsp sesame oil
2 tbsp minced ginger
1 tbsp minced garlic
2 tbsp soy sauce (Oyster is best, but I had none, so I subbed!)

Saute chicken and scallions in sesame oil for 3-5 minutes.  Add in carrot, cabbage, ginger, garlic, and soy sauce, reduce to low and simmer, covered for 10 minutes.  Turn off heat and let mixture cool (30 minutes).  Arrange egg roll wrapper at a diagonal, add in 3 tbsp of mixture (roughly) to center.  Fold bottom triangle up, sides in (like wrapping a gift!) then seal top edges with water and roll up to meet.  Repeat x 12.  Bake on an ungreased cookie sheet at 400 for 10-12 minutes, broil for one minute. 

Serve alongside stir fry or have more as the main event! 


MMMM, delish.  Maybe not quite as quick as midnight Wok, but a hell of alot healthier and much easier on Nugget.  And I won't complain about that :-)  Enjoy!

1 comment: