Tuesday, January 27, 2015

Kung Fu

Well, hello snowy Tuesday! Although we didn't get the "storm of the century" downstate like everyone was predicting (seriously, when will people learn not to trust the weather?) it seems as if the snow gods have graced us with the perfect white blanket to serve as a winter backdrop for the end of January.  Ahh.  The commute home was a little rocky yesterday, but overall, no complaints.

When life gets crazy, go for 2 "shboops"
 instead of one!
It's been another zany week at the homestead - a few house showings, some appointments, FINALLY got the car back, and the usual melee o family life.  Still on point with my 27 day running streak (mini bow) and I'm up to 63 miles for the year.  Not on par for 2015 miles, but that's ok.  With a few races now on docket (one half, one trail 12 miler) I'm prepping for some long ass endurance events come summer and fall.  And I couldn't be happier.  I'm filing in events as I go - for some reason, running just calms me down and gets my head clearer than swimming or biking right now.  I think Mind the Ducks did that to me - the zone is just so amazing. I adore triathlon, but with a kiddo, I'm tapping out at the shorter distances this year and focusing more on the long run.  It worked well last year, let's see what happens now!

Another part of training I've been seriously getting into is cross training.  Pilates, yoga, lifting, and Kickboxing.  It stretches me out, strengthens my runs, and helps with sanity (again). Which, with work stress, house stress and family stress is a much needed relief. After all, everyone needs a little kung fu.  Or at least, some fu (tofu, that is.)

This is a super easy stir fry I threw together using the "baked fried" method of tofu.  Check it out!

Tuesday Night Tofu (serves 2)

1 block extra firm tofu
2 cups string beans, diced
8 ounces whole wheat pasta
1/2 cup low sodium soy sauce
2 tbsp garlic, minced
1 small onion, diced
1 tbsp honey
2 tbsp sesame oil
pepper to taste

To prep the tofu - dice into triangle cubes.  Lay flat on a dish over a towel.  Wrap towel over tofu, place in fridge with a gallon of milk over it to press out moisture.  Let set for 1-2 hours.  Mix soy sauce, garlic, honey, pepper (I used 1 tbsp) and one 1tbsp of sesame oil in a container with a lid.  Add in tofu, let marinade for at least 30 minutes.  Place tofu cubes onto a baking tray lined with foil and bake at 400 for 30 minutes, then broil at 500 for 5.  In the meantime, add in remaining oil and onion to saucepan, saute.  Add in green beans, cook until softened.  Cook pasta until al dente, add to beans and onions.  Pour in marinade (since it isn't used on meat, it's safe!) and let simmer for 5 minutes.  Plate pasta and veggies, top with tofu, and serve!

Even Rob approved.

But not as much as he approved of the pudding for dessert.
Smart kid.

No comments:

Post a Comment