Tuesday, August 12, 2014

In a pickle

Hey hey!!  Life update....short n sweet.....The new kitto-s are doing amazing (pics to come - they have a new cat castle and can jump 8 feet high, I swear!), Rob's learned the word "No" (ruh roh) and is doing pretty well except for a lil ole virus hats come to stay this week (aww) and Greg and I raced Sodus Point last weekend for the 10th year in a row (yikes!) Race report coming later this week. 

Today's post is short n simple....with the gorgeous NY weather this spring and summer, I've found myself with the wonderful produce problem....TOO MUCH!  I'm great with the fruit and most veggies- we freeze em, Rob eats 'em....oh right, he eats ALL of them.  Except one.  Cucumbers.  I don't know if it's a texture thing or a seed thing, but he's a little bit wary of them (seeing as the kid eats broccoli, beans and plain tofu, I feel that exploring the lack of love for this veggie is just not worth my time, ha).  But.  One can only eat so many salads.  Or tuna salads.  Or water infusions.  So....what to do with my bumper crop o cukes?  Duh, Rae...make pickles!!!

Day #1
So Easy Refrigerator Pickles

1 large cuke, sliced your way (I like spears)
1.5 cups water
1 cup vinegar
1 tbsp sugar
2 tbsp each dill, coriander, and garlic salt
5 cloves fresh garlic

Why I buy pickles, I don't know.  This was stupid easy.  Dice the cuke, add to a mason jar with a tight fitting lid.  Add in dill, coriander, and garlic salt, shake well.  In a medium sauce pan, add water, vinegar and sugar.  Bring to a boil and then remove from heat, let sit until cool.  Completely submerge the cukes and leave out to ferment for at least 3 days.  When fermented to your desire, place in the fridge, where they keep for up to a month (but....ours were gone 48 hours later.  And I got one pickle.  yeesh).  So what's a girl to do?  Start batches in shifts!!

Day #2
Batches 1 and 2, respectively
Super easy, super crunchy and deeelish!  (I think.  Hopefully I'll get some outta the next batch :-))  With a hint of sweet and just enough spice, these pickles are great on sandwiches, diced in salads, and straight outta the fridge munches.  Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment