Tuesday, January 8, 2013

The Big Reveal-FAQs

Awww....shuckers.  You guys are so sweet.  The number of comments, emails, facebook comments and texts from our "new training plan" announcement yesterday made me just about the happiest girl in the world.  Thank you for being amazing friends, and I can't wait to share this wonderful journey with you for the next 6 months!
But first, let's get down to brass tacks. I plan to blog my way through this pregnancy, and update with weekly posts (you know I've pre-written the last 8 weeks, I'll post soon!) but I do promise not to make this into a pregnancy or mommy blog.  Pinky swear.  I'll update once a week, but fully expect your recipes, training, and everything else that makes Tri'ing For Balance...Tri'ing for Balance!
Now, onto the questions.  Questions, questions, questions.  I got my fair share of them yesterday and today, so of course....I'll share with you!

How far along are you?

As of Sunday, I am 12 weeks along.  First trimester is almost done!  Greg and I struggled with keeping this huge secret from everyone, which was tough as heck!  We wanted to wait to share the news with people until the risk for miscarriage passed (even though it's always a risk).  So far, we've had an ultrasound at 9 weeks, and saw the heartbeat, etc.  and also heard the heartbeat on the 11th week.  My OB thinks everything looks wonderful, so it was time to pop out the champagne grape juice!

What is the due date?

July 22.  We jokingly are calling it "Iron Baby" because Lake Placid Ironman is usually the 3rd week of July.  Funnily enough, Greg's birthday is July 22nd.  Luckily (in the rare event that due dates mean ANYTHING!) Greg doesn't mind sharing!

Was it a Surprise?

Yes and no.  We were definitely in the family frame of mind, and had been trying for about 10 months.  We had almost gotten to the point where we thought we might not be able to conceive naturally (yes, of course there's a story there) when I was staring at a positive pregnancy test!  I found out right before Thanksgiving, which was such an unexpected blessing.  We can't wait to be parents!

Do you plan to find out the sex of the baby?

You can first find out the sex of the baby at your 20 week ultrasound, which will be in February.  Right now, we are about 99% sure that we do NOT want to know.  We think that it will be a beautiful surprise at delivery....and we both really like green :-)  This is, without a doubt, the number one asked question so far!

Do you have names picked out?

Yep, we have both a boy and girl name picked out, but we're going to see if it fits the baby before revealing.  I promise, though, that we will not name our child "Apple" or "Thor".  Although "Placid" might be a nice middle name for a girl.....I'm kidding, Greg (kinda). 

How are you feeling?

Mentally or Physically?  Mentally, I am over the moon!  I can't wait to be a mother and experience everything about pregnancy, being a parent, and yes, even childbirth.  It's so exciting and surreal!  Physically?  I feel like crap.  Ever since about week 6, I've been nauseous and sick (a few spectacular projectile sickies...tmi) the whole time, and in general feel like I'm walking around hungover.  I can't tolerate some of my favorite foods (oats, yogurt), and in general, eat because I have to.  I'm also exhausted.  All the time.  My mommy friends tell me this is normal.  I don't like normal.  Hopefully, according to them, it will pass by my second trimester.  Fingers crossed.  However, I always try to remember that my symptoms remind me that there's a little one doing some growing inside me....which more than makes up for it :-)

Are you going to stop exercising?

WHAT?  No, seriously, do you not know me at all?  This one kills me.  The assumption that I'm going to stop running, biking, moving, breathing, living...until July.  No.  I've spoken to my doc, and gotten the go ahead to do anything I want (well, except scuba diving) within reason.  I have to keep a certain intensity cap so I don't overheat, but I've been biking (indoors), swimming, weight lifting, and running.  I'm still running the Ocala half in a few weeks (confession-that's the reason I dropped to the half, cause I'm knocked up :-P) and still planning on running while it's comfortable, but being active 5-6 days a week.  It helps me and the baby.  I'm just slower.  And a bit more finicky about running unless I feel good (so I'm running twice a week now).  It works. 

Any cravings?

Meat.  Cheese.  Ranch Dressing. Pizza. Pretzels.  And most fruit.  Weird.  Chocolate is out for the most part, same thing with yogurt (makes me gag), bananas, peanut butter, and a few other things.  I didn't say it made sense.  I'm rolling with it.  Though I miss my Fage. 


Well, there ya go!  I'll just call it Preggo week here to get it out of my system....I'll post weeks 5-11 tomorrow-Saturday, then we'll start to talk about other interesting things, sound good?  Have a great day!!

No comments:

Post a Comment