Thursday, January 31, 2013

Fit Mama-Trimester 1

Ya know, it's been awhile.  Not since I posted-I know I've changed that up a bit and am more prone to post every other day, which works in well with my work-life schedule, and also keeps it from getting to be too stale or too much of a chore.  But lately, my posts have been about two things-Baby G or some new recipe.  Which would lead you to beleive that this pregnancy is all about suckin' down the good eats and navel gazing at my....well, navel.
But it's not. 
Food has been fuel lately, but but there's not much more to it than that.  And while my husband is thoroughly enjoying my barefoot-and-pregnant-in-the-kitchen status....well, I' glad someone is. No, that's not true.  I really am.  But it's more for the joy of cooking than out of anything that I plate.  So I chug along and get in enough nutrients to fuel my basal (and baby basal) needs, and of course, my workouts.
Wait, what?  THERE'S the missing link.  Gone are the days when I tell you aout my tempo runs, swim sets and long bike rides.
And I miss them.  The tempo runs, and telling you about them.  So indulge me a bit.  I'd like to talk about prenatal fitness-at least in the first trimester.  I am sure it will look a little different as we progress into tri #2 and for SURE into tri #3.
Not me yet....but soon!!
So, whats diferent so far?

1.  Type of Activity
Pre-pregnancy:  Usually running 2-3 times a week, with a weekend long run of about 90 minutes to two hours.  Biking twice a week, one shorter intense ride, one longer ride, usually about two hours.  Swimming twice a week, about 4 miles total.  Strength training twice a week. 
Trimester 1:  Running still happens, but less frequently and less structured.  I've been more tired and also not feeling as well for the past few months, and altough I love running, it takes much more get up and go, and is also a bit harder on your body.  I've been swimming and bikeing quite a bit more, although the duration is shorter and the workouts are not as specific. 

2.  Length of Time/Frequency
Pre-pregnancy:  An hour a day during the week, one to two hours over the weekend.  Usually worked out 6-7 days per week, a mix of cardio and strength training. 

Trimester 1:  Still aiming for an hour most days.  Usually broken up into a lunchtime workout (30 minutes) during the week, and a short workout when I get home (30 minutes).  Weekend is usually an hour a day, but low impact.  Usually 5-6 days a week, one rest day of yoga or a long walk.  I still feel it is really important to include movement in each day-it's good for me and the baby.  It helps me stay energetic, keeps my body in working order (lol), and works my heart. 
3.  Intensity
Pre-pregnancy:  Each workout has a purpose.  Improve speed, sustain a tempo, improve endurance.  Low key recovery every few weeks.  Focus on getting faster, stronger, fitter.
Trimester 1: Maintenance and body awareness.  All workouts are kept to a much lower intensity (zone 2, or "marathon" intensity.).  I don't always track my heart rate, but aim for 140 or less.  That means no speed work, tempo bikes but not runs, and limited to no plyometrics during boot camp/kickboxing.  Honestly, no one likes that crap, so I don't miss it.  I just have to remember that it is OK TO BE SLOWER.  Pregnancy is not a time to build fitness, just a time to stay active.

4.  "Scheduling"
Pre-pregnancy:  Planning, planning, planning.  Training plans.  Rest day on Monday.  Speed work on Tuesday.  Swimming on Tuesday, Thursday and Friday.  Long ride on Saturday (maybe a T run).  Long run on Sunday. Do it.  Check it off.  If you don't feel like it, suck it up. 
Trimester 1: Listening to my body = golden rule.  I still aim to vary the workouts, but if I was planning to run and I feel like crap, we're walking.  Or doing yoga.  If I was planning on a 20 mile ride and I'm exhausted, we'll try 10 and see how it goes.  Maybe the other 10 will follow, maybe we'll do it later, maybe not.  Either way, it's okay.  Some days I bike 30, some days 10 suffices. It's all good.

So, with that being said, with a run on the books today, body was not feeling it. So we hopped on the elliptical for 45 minutes, and then finished up with some lower body weight training.  Rawr. 

Did you exercise throughout your pregnancy (if you have ever been pregnant?) How did it go f

No comments:

Post a Comment