Thursday, May 24, 2012

The "pied" piper

Oh, my friends.  I need some mental hugs. I am not having a good day.
 Let me tell you the story about the "pied" piper.
Not the fairy tale.
About my "pied"-french word for foot.  And it's not so nice piping up.....or...yelling.
See....about a month ago, I wrote a post about my sea urchin foot.  Lamely, I decided to step on one of those guys during our trip to Jamaica....it wasn't bright.  I was advised that I should try to get the stinger pieces out, soak the foot in vinegar, and the pain would go away.
It did.
For about a week.
Hawt wrap.
 Then I started to get some pain near the ball of my foot and on the top parts (about 2 weeks ago).  I could still run and walk okay...about a 5 on a scale of 1 being a stubbed toe and 10 being mile 25 of Ironman.  Iced.  Took easy runs.  Elevated.
Last week, the pain got a bit worse.  I took the week off from running.....resuming my long run last Saturday.  The foot didn't hurt too bad during the run or after, but started to throb the next day.
Ugh.  3 days till Buffalo.
Let's elevate and stay the eff off it.
I called my doc today and left a message requesting a referral to a podiatrist (they don't work on Thursdays).  I bought a wrap.  Told myself that i would go out for a 2 mile test run to see how I felt.  If it didn't go well, I'd nix the race on Sunday.  At this point, I don't care about time, I just want to run...but not at the expense of my entire season....or life.
The first 5 minutes felt like continuously stepping on a tack.  Then, it got a bit better.  I breezed through the miles at a sub 8 minute pace (hello tapered legs and body!) but at about mile 1.75, it tarted to hurt again.
I ice bathed.  Ibu-profined.  Stretched over a golf ball (hurts so good).
I can run.
But should I?  (Please note that that is a hypothetical question.  I will work through this on my own and come up with whats best for me with the help of the hubster.  So unless you birthed me (haha, she doesn't read my blog anyways), I married you, or I call you Dad....I just need hugs.  Those guys are good at kicking me in the butt.  I can't handle any more :-))
Big breath out.
I know I can get through this one.  Just a little down.
Know what fixes everything, though?
Chinese food (you didn't think I was going to leave you hanging on that crappy note, did you?)
And when you make it...it's even better than take out....and cheaper, too :-P
Sesame Chicken in the Crock
4 chicken thighs
2 heads broccoli
1 tbsp. canola oil
1 cup low fat ginger sesame dressing
2 tbsp. soy sauce
1 med. onion (who somehow escaped my picture!)
garlic powder
2 cups whole wheat pasta, cooked (or brown rice)

Sear the chicken thighs in oil over a skillet until brown on the outside.  Chop the broccoli and place at the bottom of the crock.  Place chicken and pan drippings over broccoli, shake in garlic powder, dressing and soy sauce.  Let simmer on low for 4 hours.  Serve over pasta.
 Simple.  Comforting.  And hey, at least I didn't add any cat
....or foot.
Tomorrow will be better.
I hope.
For now, I'll just eat some of my chickidee china...da chinese chicken.  
Small things, right? :-)

1 comment:

  1. OK....aweful news....on a up note I know a few good podiatrists-one who is an avid runner himself in Irondequoit if you do not have one-I do not think he has retired yet...Amy B

    ReplyDelete