Sunday, December 18, 2011

Cookie Math

Sunday = Cookie Day #2!  On tap:  Double chocolate toffee cookies and coconut macaroons.  Yum.  I was sorta feeling guilty about the amount of cookies I made yesterday (6 dozen) along with the 7 additional kinds I plan to make (yeah, I'm Italian.  Nuff said.) At an average of 3 dozen a go, that's 27 dozen cookies.....or 224 cookies.  Yikes!  I already confessed that my pain of Christmas is EATING my baking.  What's a girl to do?  Yesterday I pre-empted the cookie pain by doing a 30 mile tempo ride (90 minutes).  I figured it might off set some of the cookie damage....but how much?  Like any other 21st century American, I turned to the Internet for answers.  No problem.
According to 3 ultra athletes, I can eat anywhere from 50-300 cookies after that ride, averaged out to 175 :-)  Sweet!  (Literally).  Since I only ate 3 yesterday....and after my hour run today, I figure I need to make some more cookies, as I am CLEARLY in cookie deficit.  Cookie #1: Coconut macaroons!

The Goods
1/2 cup sugar
2 cups shredded coconut
2 egg whites
1/2 tsp vanilla
dash salt

Using an electric mixer, whip the egg whites and sugar until soft peaks form.  Fold in coconut, salt and vanilla, beat until glossy peaks form.  Place by teaspoonfuls onto greased cookie sheets.  Bake at 300 for 18-20 minutes.  Yield = 2 dozen

And, because no day is complete without chocolate....cookie #2 of the day...Double Chocolate Toffee!

3/4 cup Cocoa
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup butter, softened
2/3 cup granulated sugar
2/3 cup packed brown sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 eggs
1/2 cup chocolate chips
1/2 cup toffee bits

Preheat oven to 350º F. Combine flour, cocoa, baking soda and salt in medium bowl. Beat butter, granulated sugar, brown sugar and vanilla extract in large mixer bowl until creamy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Gradually beat in flour mixture. Stir in chips and toffee bits.  Place by spoonful on greased baking sheets.  Bake for 9 to 11 minutes.Yield = 4 dozen cookies.

72 cookies today....I think I'm good....no more "riding" off yesterday's workout (har har har).  4 kinds down, 5 to go.  Woohoo!
I think I'll make the hubster serve me dinner tonight :-)


No comments:

Post a Comment